Does anyone use the solar nite eyes??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Roy Rooster, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi, [​IMG]

This is my first attempt at raising chickens.
    I am currently getting the accessories for
    the coop.

I have heard a lot about solar nite eyes to ward
    off night time predators.

I was wondering does anyone use them?
    If so what is your opinion?

Is this something that I should purchase??

Thanks [​IMG]

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If you have the money burning a hole in your pocket and want to try it as an accessory to an already quite predatorproof setup, sure.

I am just real, real skeptical of it, because a) the justification given for why it works is utter nonsense (only PEOPLE see eye-flash reflections from other mammals -- because only PEOPLE are apt to be holding flashlights or with a porchlight or the like at your shoulder, which is the only time the effect occurs) and b) given that serious professional predators (as opposed to 'occasionals') get used to practically everything else, it seems to me rather unlikely they wouldn't acclimate to a little blinky light too.

The fact that their rationale is nonsensical does not necessarily mean it doesn't work, of course -- there are a few things in life that perfectly well do work despite the original explanation that was advanced for 'em being dead wrong -- but it does make one go Hmmmm.

The problem with anecdotal testimony to a gadget's effectiveness is that a) these days, unless it's someone you have known for a long time in real life, it's real hard to weed out 'planted' testimonials from genuine ones, and b) by its very nature, predator losses are a roulette kind of thing, and tend to be infrequent-to-rare (thus you can't easily tell the difference between 'gadget worked' and 'I got lucky since installing it') and when predator losses are *common* people usually institute *other* defenses too (dog, better fencing, etc) so once again it's hard to be sure what's causing any apparent changes in predation rate.

Sure try it if you want. But I wouldn't RELY on it, you know?

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I have one (not four or five as has been recommended on some websites) since the price has now come waaaayyy down. Have had no predator problems since installing it and before had a roaming cat and opossum I was trying to get rid of. Of course, it could just be I haven't been looking out the window at the right time, too, but my chickens are still there, so who knows?

deb g

4. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Hi.

I have one of them that was given to me as a gift from a friend that knew I had built a run. I keep forgetting to install it and it sits on my kitchen table blinking all night. I appreciate pats opinion however I can testify that in the two months it has been blinking on my kitchen table, not one predatoror has entered the run. So obviously pat may not know everything:)

5. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Wow that's one amazing piece of technology that works from your kitchen table...and it's SOLAR and works without putting it out in the sun as well. I would move mine back inside, but I'm afraid it would scare my dog.

[​IMG]

deb g
    KY

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Not necessary since we installed hotwire. It's only turned on at night but we have not had a predator problem in 2 years now. Of course, our pens are built like Ft. Knox too.

7. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Ok, Thanks for all the replies.

I am new to chickens and trying to
    weed out what is needed and what is not.

So I guess it is one of those things that looks
    like it would work but really is not worth the money.

I will not purchase the nite eyes. I am glad that I
    asked before I spent money that I did not have too.

You all were very helpful.

Thanks [​IMG]

8. dawj

dawj Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Central NH
    Take the $$ and buy more hardware cloth!!

9. Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by