does anyone vaccinate the chicks they hatch?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickengrl, Feb 12, 2011.

1. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Do you vaccinate? What do you vaccinate for? We have 3 week old chicks in the basement brooder and unfortunately are having a respiratory infection running through the coop outside. So, was wondering what other folks do. thanks

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I am planning on doing some hatching this Spring and will be vaccinating for Marek's and Newcastle/Infectious Bronchitis. Along with that, they are raised on medicated chick feed that prevents cocci (or at least too much of it).

Otherwise, I will do my best to look out for disease and keep it away. Knowing it first hand, I don't want to go down that road again.

4. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Good question...a newbie here and just hatched my second batch ( and last as only have a small city flock) [​IMG] I did not vaccinate mine after some advice from others in my area.

Also the link to the article was helpful...thanks.

5. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    Quote:x2

It might be too late to vaccinate for mareks but you can still vaccinate for newcastles. The vaccine is commonly administered in the water they drink.

6. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I am planning on doing some hatching this Spring and will be vaccinating for Marek's and Newcastle/Infectious Bronchitis. Along with that, they are raised on medicated chick feed that prevents cocci (or at least too much of it).

I just culled a chicken yesterday. An experience that I thought was awful![​IMG] (She had a resp. infection. ) I am definitely going to try to vaccinate for both mentioned above. I am uncertain where to get the vaccine. But I am really thinking about it.​

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  7. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    If you plan on selling them do not vaccinate leave it up to the buyer. Most if not all the people I sell to do not want vaccinated birds for numerous reason that I will not go into for the reasons they tell me.

8. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I did not but I fed them medicated feed.
    Caroline

9. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Hmmm, I have been researching, but it is confusing. It appears that some of the vaccinations can make the bird a carrier of the disease. Kinda defeats the purpose, wouldn't it. Sorry can't remember whicj one did that. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by