does anyone want to play the gender game?? BR, BO, and delewares

meadowlake23

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 3, 2010
HI I'm new to the chicken world and have some 4.5 week old chicks (all sold as pullets) with what I think is gender confusion...
lol.png
first is my BR chicks one fits the pullet description the other seems alittle roo like?
next comes my BO one is huge compared to the other and has a smaller comb neither have any wattles forming though so I hope both are girls?
last come the Delewares one is huge and a big bully and I just noticed today that it seems to be getting pink on it's beak and some wattle things showing up could it be another roo? is it too early to tell?Thanks for any help you can give me
smile.png

P1000855.jpg

the BR on the left in this picture is a cockerel, the one on the right is a pullet. You can tell by their coloring (males are whiter) plus oftentimes the slow to come-in tail feathers also indicate a male.

In my own experience the BR males are lighter in color. On the other hand the BO males are richer in color. Delawares I have no idea. Looks to me like you have a BR roo.

I don't know anything about Delawares, but 5 weeks is definitely too early for a pullet to be turning red. I would give it some more time though. If that delaware is a boy, he'll probably be fairly obvious in a couple of weeks.

Thanks I was really hoping to have a BR roo he is the nicest chick of the bunch. My Hubby says we should call him MR. Wattlecock
lol.png
I am hoping that if more than one of them turn out to be roos that they will get along.
fl.gif
does that happen? they will be free ranging in our really big back yard.

Back
Top Bottom