Does anyone with the heated dog bowl have a guard on it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kuntrychick, Nov 2, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    For those of you with the heated dog bowl, do you have any type of guard on it to keep them from perching & pooping in it? If so, did you buy it somewhere or did you make it or what?

I saw this heated poultry waterer w/guard. It looks just like the heated dog bowl without the guard.

http://www.coopsnmore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=65

2. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    We bought one of the heated dog bowls at Tractor Supply last year when they were $19.99. Used it all winter with no problems. We had 13 large chickens in the coop and changed the water twice a day.

If you plan to use it for young pullets or Bantams the guard might be needed but for standards $48.00 for a bowl with a little bit of wire over it seems a terrible waste of money.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Wow!!! 50 bucks? I think I'll stick with my dog dish with a plastic pail sitting in it.

4. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Yeah, I thought the price was steep too! I bought the dog bowl the other day at TSC fo $19.99 [​IMG]

5. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I just have the heated dog bowl. I got it on Amazon.com for $14.97 and got free shipping because I ordered a couple of other things also. [​IMG] I don't have a guard on mine and I haven't been having any problems with the chickens getting up on it at all. Maybe if I start having a problem I will have to make a guard for it though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by