1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anyone wring the chickens' necks when killing them

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by joebryant, Sep 21, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

When I was a kid about ten-twelve, I used to chase and catch a chicken chosen by my grandmother when I was visiting her. Then I would take its head into my hands and start wringing it in a circle until the head came off the way she taught me. The chicken would flop all over the ground. Once it stopped, my grandmother would dip it in a large, black pot that she had a fire going under to boil water. She'd dip in the chicken and then begin removing feathers. After that, she'd fry the chicken. Sure was good.
    Does anyone still do their killing that way. Everyone that I knew in Kentucky wrung their chickens' necks, and before I came on this forum I thought EVERYBODY did that for home butchering. I've not read about it being done on here though.

2. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

We step on the heads and pull it off, drop the body in a clean trash can until thrashing is complete. I don't like blood all over the place- less attraction for fox.

3. CoonX

CoonX Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2008
    Kingston, OK
    My grandmother did it like that.
    Her mother was able to snap the chickens like a whip and pop the heads off.

Will

4. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I did almost the same thing as Cason. We put a big dowel rod over their neck, stepped on the dowel, and pulled on their legs until the neck came apart from the head inside. Only we didn't pull the heads all the way off. I would drop to my knees, collect the bird, and hold it till it stopped moving. Then hang them and cut their necks to bleed out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by