Does apple cider vinegar stop hens from pecking each other?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nieceharr, Jun 29, 2008.

1. nieceharr

nieceharr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    I'm desperately trying to stop my hens from pecking each other and have been searching the internet off and on all day today. I saw several sites that state that a small amount of apple cider vinegar in their water stops the pecking. Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Thanks.

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I know that apple cider vinager draws gnats. they have special stuff to spray on chickens to help them not pick.
    don't know what it is called but I am sure someone does.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Pecking is usually due to a space issue or a lack of enough protien.

I've never heard of ACV curing pecking.

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    "Hot pick" is good stuff, but I must agree there's often a reason for the picking and it would be good to figure that out too.

best luck.

5. nieceharr

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Thanks. I didn't see anyone else saying that it worked, so I figured as much. My hen house is 4x8 and my run is 8x8 = 12.4 square feet per bird (9). Is that too small? I also give them 1-3 hours free range in my yard per day, depending on when I get home from work. The 3 that are getting picked on are new to the flock. Blood has not been drawn (yet). All but 2 (1 being a rooster) are constantly picking on them. I've been separating them, but when I let them out with the others, it starts all over again. I've only had these three for a week. Will it stop?

6. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    " My hen house is 4x8 and my run is 8x8 = 12.4 square feet per bird (9). Is that too small?"
    The more room they have the better off they will be.

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    What are you feeding them?

8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I have a feeling the pecking is due to the fact that they are new. Use a spray to discourage so blood isn't drawn and keep putting them together when they are out free ranging. Keep an eye on them to make sure it doesn't get bad and hopefully given some time they will settle in with the rest.

9. nieceharr

Jun 25, 2008
    Connecticut
    Since my original flock (the ones that are doing the bullying) are 15 weeks old and my new ones (the ones that are being picked on) are 20 weeks old, I have a mixture of layer and grower pellets. No eggs yet. I also give them treats every morning consisting of plain yogurt, grapes, lettuce bananas, oats and sunflower seeds. When I get home from work, I let them roam around the yard.

Should I use the blue kote even thought there has been no blood drawn? If so, where should I put it?

How long do you think it will take for the others to accept them? Will they ever? 2 have (1 is a rooster and loves having more girls), but the other 4 haven't yet.

Thanks for your advice!

10. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    No, you need something to mae them not pick, not something to heal the wounds from picking.

Many people use 'hot pick,' which is widely available. Hanging suet, 'farmer's friend," or stuff like that can help too.

best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by