1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does Baby Chicks Bulley?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Eggwell, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Eggwell

Eggwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    I have baby chicks about 4 weeks old, and I've noticed there is a lot of staring down, and the bigger ones jumping on the runts. Is this bullying? What can I do to stop it? They have a fairly large brooder, and plenty of food and water. Three of them are really small, and I fear it is because they are not allowed to eat when they want. Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I hatched out 20 eggs last fall and had the same issue, four were smaller with one being an absolute runt. I checked and made sure they were all eating but upon reading here realized its normal chicken behavior and unless they are brutal and chicks are getting injured I decided to leave them alone. They are doing what chickens do, establishing a pecking order. The chicks are now almost 4 months old, we had to cull two of them because they were splay legged and even tho we followed the directions of many here it didn't work. And then one we lost to a hawk. As long as you give them plenty of space, ample food and water they will work it out.

3. Eggwell

Jan 3, 2014
    That's a relief, thank you!

4. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Just make sure the smaller ones are getting plenty of food and water..[​IMG]

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    As long as there are 2 or more chicks or chickens in your flock you will have chickens that are winners and you will have chickens that are losers. Contrary to what some believe chickens do not bully their flock mates. In humans the act of bullying is a conscience decision, chickens act on instinct. What you see in your 4 week old chicks is the normal and natural manifestation of chicken behavior ie the pecking order in operation.

The more health, vim, vigor, and vitality each of your individual chickens displays, the more likely it is that that one particular chicken will rise to the top of the pecking order. Chicken society is what it is, but whatever else, chicken society is Darwinism in motion.

The smaller ones may not be able to eat ALL they want not when they want. To cure this add a feeder or two and space them as far apart as is practical.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  6. Eggwell

Jan 3, 2014
    Sounds like you're saying it is a natural progression to establish who is going to be the boss. I have a feeder in all 4 corners of a large brooder containing 15 chicks, and 2 waters in opposite ends. Even though it is natural, I really hate to see the big chicks picking on the little ones. [​IMG]

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What are the dimensions of your 'large' brooder?

Chicken squabble and pick on each other, it's just how they roll.....normal chicken behavior can't really be equated with human behaviors.

8. Eggwell

Jan 3, 2014
    My brooder is 52" x 32" and I have 15 chicks that will be 5 weeks old this Sunday Jan. 19.

9. JRGriff

JRGriff Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Milton, West Virginia
    X2. I hatched 3 Bantams and 4 large fowl within a day of each other and moved quickly to the brooder. On day one, the pushing, pecking, stomping on each other had started. Once everyone was snuggling together and things seemed calm - it was ultimately a "time out" and the pecking order went right back into action. Will always be and won't change.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd say that's pretty darn crowded.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by