Does baby need help hatching??

Cwillenburg

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Do I need to worry about this chick? It's still breathing but not chirping or moving much and the membrane looks kinda dry. It piped this afternoon. I'm trying to be as hands off as possible but it's my first time hatching and I'm super nervous 😬
20201218_203510.jpg

They are under a broody hen, not in an incubator. I haven't been out to check them yet this morning.
Ok, if it's under a broody hen, she should have everything under control. How's she's a new mom, I'd keep an eye on her to make certain that she's good with the chicks.

Yay! Glad she/he made it out! I’m in the same boat with a broody hen. The others are out and this one has looked like this all day. But is moving around in there... I keep wondering if I need to do anything. Ahhh!!! The anticipation is killing me!
14B80F56-A40F-4FD3-BB71-CF48B17DE284.jpeg
02053BF6-F1A1-4923-920E-F899EB984F6E.jpeg

How is it doing? I’m no expert but because I can’t see its beak and I don’t see any blood veins, I would be tempted to help it a little. How long has it been since it first pipped?
Update: So after waiting all day for the chick to make more progress it seemed like it got halfway around egg breaking it open that morning and by night time hadn’t done anything more. The feathers that were popping out of the shell were dry and fluffy and the chick inside was still chirping away.... the membrane was so hard and dried out. I think it was stuck to the dry membrane and could not rotate around anymore to break the shell open the rest of the way. I ended up slowly breaking away chips of the egg shell along the same path it had started and I used part of the egg shell to slit open the hard dried membrane. I allowed her/him to push and fight and it was finally able to break free. I slipped her back under her momma and had to peel the top half of the shell off of her it was dried and stuck to her. 2 days later she is thriving just like the other chicks. Yay!
(My eggs were under a broody hen not in an incubator)

If you help it, it can make it be weak in the long run. If its too dry, maybe you need to check your humitity. Maybe add a little more water. Perhaps you can take a warm clean towel and pat it a little bit. Try to leave it in the incubator and try to not open the incubator. Every time you open the incubator it lets out heat and humitity. Make certain that you are always washing your hands before and after handling. Also, patience. Chicks will hatch a little bit, then sleep for a long time. If you was to check it again, just check it to make certain that it is still breathing.
Congrats on the first time hatching!

If you help it, it can make it be weak in the long run. If its too dry, maybe you need to check your humitity. Maybe add a little more water. Perhaps you can take a warm clean towel and pat it a little bit. Try to leave it in the incubator and try to not open the incubator. Every time you open the incubator it lets out heat and humitity. Make certain that you are always washing your hands before and after handling. Also, patience. Chicks will hatch a little bit, then sleep for a long time. If you was to check it again, just check it to make certain that it is still breathing.
Congrats on the first time hatching!

They are under a broody hen, not in an incubator. I haven't been out to check them yet this morning.

Back
Top Bottom