Does beak sexing Tibetan Coturnix Work?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by PoultryParadise, Dec 16, 2010.

1. PoultryParadise

PoultryParadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    Has anyone tried sexing Tibetans by the colour of their beak. Can anyone confirm or deny that it has worked for them? I have no clue which of my tibetans are female and which are male. I just got them as a gift from a man who can't house them over winter and they are definitly not as easy to sex as the regular coturnix I have.

2. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    The only ways I know to sex em is
    1) vent sex
    2) sit and watch them till either a) it crows or b) it lays a egg
    [​IMG]
    dunno about the beak thing but then it is easier for me to just pull em when they crow and leg band em males.

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I have noticed that the ones with dark beaks are usually roosters, but I do not trust it. I always vent sex everything exept jumbo browns and sometimes Manchurians.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    "2) sit and watch them till either a) it crows or b) it lays a egg" === BEER SEXING [​IMG] ITS EASIER TO INVEST THEM TIME IF YOU HAVE ENCOURAGEMENT

I HAVE NEVER SEEN AN ACCURACY IN BEAK SEXING.

RAINWOLF IS CORRECT... VENT SEX/ BEER SEX

5. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    I never go wrong with beer sexing!!! [​IMG] I tried all 3, beak doesn't seem to stay true.

6. PoultryParadise

Nov 30, 2010
    That's too bad. It would have been so easy. There is no way I am sitting there and watching them till they crow.

And after how many beers do they all start crowing?

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THE EXACT NUMBER VARIES GREATLY DEPENDING ON THE SEXER, SO ITS REALLY NOT POSSIBLE TO SAY WITHOUT TRYING. I CAN TELL YOU THIS... IT TAKES ALOT LESS BOURBON AND COLAS THAN IT DOES BEERS [​IMG]

8. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    Quote:THE EXACT NUMBER VARIES GREATLY DEPENDING ON THE SEXER, SO ITS REALLY NOT POSSIBLE TO SAY WITHOUT TRYING. I CAN TELL YOU THIS... IT TAKES ALOT LESS BOURBON AND COLAS THAN IT DOES BEERS [​IMG]

I usually go with vodka and sweet tea. My problem is that mine like to play their version of Marco Polo and like to crow when my back is turned [​IMG] I know they are laughing at me behind my back but I get the last laugh when its time to choose new additions to Camp Kenmore [​IMG]

9. PoultryParadise

Nov 30, 2010
    Guess I'll have to pull out the whiskey and snow shoes after dinner. Go hear me some crowin"

10. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    dang...I used to do the rub 'em and see what happens method...guess that is close to the beer method..just requires the right mood music!

I had canary breeding cages I wold use. I had a long line of them and put a bird in each cage...as eggs were found females were banded...if after a week i didn't have an egg it was a male...this worked as long as my boys weren't trying to be overly efficient at egg removal...made a breeding trio...got three eggs...yup...boys got ahead of themselves....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by