1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does bellying-up always=males?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mothersin2ition, Apr 17, 2008.

1. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    I have two banties that show no distincively male characteristics (no significant combs yet even), but they are constantly doing the "alpha male dance" thing.. They see each other, run up and puff their chests up and elongate their necks as high as they can. I am new to keeping chickens, and ours are only 6 weeks old so its not outwardly obvious (to me) as to their sex yet.
    Any opinions?

2. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I dont think that is only a male thing I have some babies in the brooder and a few of them are doing that - but I also have hens outside that are about 1 year old and everyonce in awhile they do that to each other -

good luck finding the roo's in your brooder - I am still trying to find them in mine LOL

Julie

3. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Our girls did that a bit last year. I was scared they were roos, too.

4. modenacart

modenacart Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    New Bern, NC
    All of mine do that, but the two that we suspect are roos do it alot more.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a Black Orp cockerel and his sister who are 15 weeks old and they spar with each other all the time! It's both sexes, but by a later age, like mine, usually more the males.

6. backyardfarmfamily

backyardfarmfamily Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2008
    Texas
    My hens and my pullets do that all the time. It's just part of the pecking order stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by