Does bloody diarrhea = death sentence? (5 weeks old, coccidiosis)

CMarshall14

Chirping
Feb 9, 2021
Ohio, USA
This morning while checking on the 5 week old chicks I noticed a very bloody dropping. (Not on medicated feed). Everyone was acting fine for the most part. I took them one by one and treated with toltrazuril orally because its what I had (brand name is usually baycox, but this is the 5% solution for horses, goats, etc.) Checked everyone over and there was one with a little dried bloody backside who I assume was the first culprit.

Fast forward to this evening and two out of twelve have really messy, bloody behinds and are starting to exhibit the droopy wings and falling over. At this point I just feel like its a waiting game to see if they recover or not but I would like to hope they would! Has anyone had a good outcome after it gets to this point? Hoping i dosed them in time. And will this help create immunity to this coccidia strain if this brood pulls through?

I bought 12 six week old pullets when I first started with chickens (2011). Day one I noticed how pale their combs were, practically devoid of color. The next day, the dreaded bright red bloody stools.

These chicks were very skittish, unhandled and stressed. I was not optimistic. However, after a treatment of Corid, medicated feed and plain yogurt--everyone pulled through.

I still have 2 hens from that group to this day!

Good luck, I hope they make it!

I bought 12 six week old pullets when I first started with chickens (2011). Day one I noticed how pale their combs were, practically devoid of color. The next day, the dreaded bright red bloody stools.

These chicks were very skittish, unhandled and stressed. I was not optimistic. However, after a treatment of Corid, medicated feed and plain yogurt--everyone pulled through.

I still have 2 hens from that group to this day!

Good luck, I hope they make it!
That gives me hope! Sadly I lost one little one last night 😔 but these things just happen. Everyone else seems do be doing well, even the other sickly one was hopping around again! I hope this provides some immunity to whatever coccidia strain we have going on in the shed. Its hard to really disinfect because the floor is gravel/dirt on the bottom!

Back
Top Bottom