Does Breeding Cuckoo work in reverse?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by crazy chook, Aug 17, 2010.

1. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    As a rule: Mate a Black Wyandotte Bantam male to White Wyandotte bantam hens, and cuckoo offspring will be produced

Does this work is I have

White wyandotte Bantam male to black wyandotte hens?

Also

Will mating a White Wyandotte bantam male to any other color wyandotte hen produce what colors? or just messy lookin chicks

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    There is no rule that black to white will give cuckoo, It may not work in either way, the only way it will work is if the White is masking barring, which isnt always the case. But if it is, then yes it will work both ways, A black male to a recessive white making barring female will give sexlinks where only the males will be cuckoo.

The reverse would depend on If the male White Wyandotte is masking barring, and if so, is he homozygous or heterozygous for barring. If he is homo. barred when bred to a black hen will produce all barred chicks and the male offspring will be het barred. If he is het barred when bred to a black hen, half ofthe offspring would be barred and half would be non barred. And remember they would all get one copy of Rec. White so breeding them together or back to the white hen would give a percentage of whites.

But like I said, it isnt a general rule to be expected that black to white will produce barred. For that to work the white must be masking barring.

3. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Thank you, I did not think it was that simple..lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by