Does broodyness wear off?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by werttyy, Feb 19, 2011.

1. werttyy

werttyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Chicago
    I was just wondering because I don't want the hen to abandon the eggs. Thanks.

2. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Like I just said in another post....my 20 week old started brooding and I was told that she may quit because her hormones weren't mature (?) yet. I gave her only 2 eggs to sit on 12 days ago (I tried breaking her of it by taking her eggs for the first 2 days, but then I felt bad and let her have 2) Today I candled them and there's a big moving blob in one [​IMG] so she's doing her job well!

But I would guess that they can quit. I have read in posts that some chickens are great brooders and some aren't...so I would guess that the one's that aren't good probably quit and did abandon their eggs. (or let them get cold too many times)

This is my first time so this is all I know.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Some hens will stop after sitting a few days. The first time my sumatra hen went broody, she had two days left and was sitting on five eggs, then decided to stop. I guess she got tired of sitting [​IMG] She did go broody again and hatch 1 out of four eggs [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm not sure if you are asking about a single episode of being broody or if a broody hen will keep being broody again and again throughout her life....

But being broody is the result of hormones, and those can rise or fall.

I have had two broody hens, each has set and hatched on a single occasion. Neither has gone broody since the first time, but they're young; one is just over a year old and the other is just about a year old. They each went broody at 7 months (separately) after laying for only a month. Both were excellent moms. Now they lay their eggs and don't hang around to sit on the eggs.

Some give up part way through the incubation period, at any stage of it. Some go broody time and time again.

Kinda hard to predict what will happen. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by