does castration cut back crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buffbuttercup, Jul 11, 2010.

1. buffbuttercup

buffbuttercup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    i love our br roo. we live in city limits. would early castration do any good to quell the crow reflex? he is our pet and don't want to give him up. he's a real sweet guy. he's 3 mos old and crowed the first time a couple days ago.

thanx!!

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I would have thought that crowing would stop, but castrating roosters isn't so easy as their testicles are inside the body,

Sandie

3. buffbuttercup

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    lol, right. i've heard tho that it's a fairly simple procedure. just exploring my options and wondering if anyone has actually done this with any success??

4. Annabella

Annabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    I've never heard of this procedure - will be interested to hear if anyone has ever had it done? [​IMG]

5. Harrietsmum

Harrietsmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Hamilton, New Zealand
    Search on this site for 'caponizing' a roo or search on line.

6. Arcane Araucana

Arcane Araucana Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Fort Mohave
    We're in the same boat. I fell in love with one of our roos and I just do not want to give him up. He's not any louder than the mockingbird that has figured out how to use our chimney as an echo chamber.

We did all the searches on caponing (hard to find someone that actually knows how to do it anymore) and removing vocal cords (which they don't have). It seems like some kind of (humane) restraint that would restrict them from stretching their neck would be feasible and I have even asked my DH to invent a "no-crow" collar like a no bark collar used on dogs. It would save the lives of so many boys.

Someone suggested hosing them with a blast of water whenever they crow but I think that would just make them mean and afraid of you. I just don't understand why people think the sound is so offensive. Maybe we should be working on changing the attitudes of people instead of the nature of roosters.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    It does not stop the crowing. sorry

8. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I wont let DW read this post cause i like to crow.

9. buffbuttercup

May 3, 2010
    Oregon
    [​IMG]

10. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Nope - it doesn't work. Sorry! If it did, every hatchery out there would offer the service in order to be able to get rid of their chicken boys. Also, spraying a roo with water when he crows won't work either since it's a natural instinct to crow rather than a learned behaviour like dog barking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by