Does cayenne really help lay better or start up? Why? Water or food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by moving coops, Feb 3, 2017.

1. moving coops

moving coops Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2017
    Does this really work and why does it? How much do you use and I am guessing it it in their water! Ration water to cayenne?

Maybe heard black pepper too, maybe this does not work as good?

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Hot pepper has about as much influence on a hen and her eggs as feeding a chicken rubbed sage and then you expecting her eggs to be sausage flavored

2 people like this.
  3. moving coops

Jan 5, 2017
    Why are some suggesting it?

4. moving coops

Jan 5, 2017
    I would expect it to help maybe deworm, but have seen people on here saying to use it to help with laying....

5. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

you are free to experiment.

I add the following once in a while to fermented feed:

Yogurt
    Cayenne
    Garlic
    Cinnamon
    Other herbs I have on hand like rosemary or oregano

And then:

ACV to water

Just maybe one of those once a week or so. Won't hurt and might help. No great studies done about these additions.

6. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La

I tried adding cayenne pepper a couple years ago when I had a small flock of 14. I just sprinkled it in with the regular layer feed. The first day I got a couple extra eggs but I think it was just a fluke. Over a couple weeks there was no increase in production at all.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've had ten years to test this theory. No, hot peppers, whether cayenne, Asian, Mexican, black, or any other kind have no effect on egg laying. This myth gets perpetuated because people are desperate to try anything to jump start egg laying after the winter dry spell, and by simple coincidence the hens begin laying mainly because they are getting ready to start anyway.

All hot peppers do is to disintegrate into the dusty substrate and cause sinus irritation when the human chicken care giver disturbs the dust. Talk about sneezing fits! [​IMG]Go ahead and feed the peppers. The chickens adore them. But don't expect it to improve egg laying. There's no scientific reason why it would.

2 people like this.
  8. moving coops

Jan 5, 2017
    Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by