Does chain link or welded wire still need hardwire cloth to go over it?

Does a chain link or welded wire run still need hardware cloth to go over it to predator proof it?

• Yes

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I'm not sure!

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

RainbowRabbits

Songster
5 Years
Oct 28, 2017
Does a chain link fence or welded wire still need hardware cloth to go over it for a duck run? I was planning on having an apron at the bottom.

I was thinking of buying several of these to make a run (but wasn't sure which one was stronger, I'm assuming the chain link one): Which one do you think is stronger?

Chain Link

Welded Wire

My location is Upstate New York.

Yes, hardware cloth is necessary against weasels, rats, snakes, and other such smaller predators.

The combination of chainlink and hardware cloth makes for a VERY secure coop. :)

Thanks I think I’ll do it just to be extra safe!

idk if mink or weasels are a problem in your area, but from everything i read they can easily slip through welded wire. And i think it kind of depends on the chain link and how big the gaps are but i have seen some pretty big gaps around the edges.

We don’t really have rats or snakes around here but we might have some weasels! I’ll do it just to be safe, thanks!!

Thanks I think I’ll do it just to be extra safe!

We don’t really have rats or snakes around here but we might have some weasels! I’ll do it just to be safe, thanks!!

If you put your general location into your profile people can give you better-targeted advice. :)

What I did was to put "Weasels in North Carolina" into my search engine, go to the articles about wildlife, and look at the range maps. I discovered that I had two species of weasel common in my area even though I'd never seen any and thus instead of using 2x4 wire for my coop apron I used hardware cloth. :)

I'd definitely add HC.

Attachments

• ReallyWantCoon.jpg.f99a3ce99573c5c90658523b75c7c073.jpg
    ReallyWantCoon.jpg.f99a3ce99573c5c90658523b75c7c073.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 8
Does a chain link fence or welded wire still need hardware cloth to go over it for a duck run? I was planning on having an apron at the bottom.

I was thinking of buying several of these to make a run (but wasn't sure which one was stronger, I'm assuming the chain link one): Which one do you think is stronger?

Chain Link

Welded Wire

My location is Upstate New York.
Absolutely!! You want to keep the rats out.

Back
Top Bottom