Does chick have saddle feathers yet???

ilovechicks2

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Santa Barbara
I was wondering if the chick has saddle feathers or doesn't. Or if it's to early to tell. It's 5 weeks old. Srry for the not so good pictures, chick is SOOOOO camera shy.

100436_more_sadie_pics_002.jpg

100436_more_sadie_pics_001.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
u don't hav 2 b mean about it. It's a yes or no question geez.

I don't believe the statement was meant to be "mean", I do agree with Illia though, the color in this case will reflect with some certainty that it is a rooster.

68634_dsc_0128.jpg

saddle feathers are the ones near the tail, by the fluff...coming down his sides...they are cream on my roo
hackle feathers are around the base of the neck, this roo is 17 weeks old...also cream on my roo

My roo that looks like yours, BTW, these are both EE roos...
68634_dsc_0095-5.jpg

** can you post better shots, yours are a little blurry and we need side shots...to be sure...but I agree with everyone else
ROOSTER.

Last edited:
Your little roo doesn't have saddle feathers (they are located immediately in front of the tail and drape to either side of the tail base) yet. They normally don't start showing up until around 12 weeks old or so. Of course, some will be earlier and others later but... As to why everyone is saying your chick is a cockerel... A roo's color is normally more intense and splotchy than a hens (depending on breed and variety). Your little one is getting very intense red splotches over the wing bows, back, and shoulders.

Back
Top Bottom