1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

does chicken made external pip from air sac?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yuaan, Dec 1, 2013.

1. yuaan

yuaan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    Hi ,

I have 11 serama eggs in incubator and its their 16th day into incubation but I am worried about the air sac as it looks like as the eggs are 14 days into incubation , My question is does the chick makes external pip and zipping only the area where the air sac is or it makes external pip and zipping from away from the air sac. I am sorry but it hard to explain the question. my humidity is 33% .
    also should i lock the eggs a day earlier as i have heard that serama eggs hatch a bit earlier ?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    A chicken usually first breaks through the air cell (internal pipping), and then breaks through the shell in the large end of the egg (external pipping). The external pipping doesn't neccasarily have to be in the same place that the bird internally pips. Sometimes my chicks external pip farther down the egg, not in the air cell.

I would personally lock down a day earlier. When I incubate bantam eggs, they almost always hatch a day earlier, and Serama eggs supposedly hatch a couple days earlier. Instead of locking down on day eighteen, you could do it on day seventeen.

Make sure to raise the humidity when you lock down. A 65% humidity is recommended for the last three days of incubation. Some people do it with a lower humidity, but I've always kept it at 65-70 for the last three days, and have had hatch rates up to 100%.

3. yuaan

yuaan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    thanks for replying ,

with my last incubation i have had 100% hatching rate but ihad to help 6 mispositioned eggs and the rest 3 have made it them selves . this time i thought having a bit higher humidty to the last incubation. last time the humidity stayed 35% for the first 18 days but this time i have let the humidity run BETWEEN 40 TO 45% . but then i have noticed that the air sac was not expending as it should do so on day 12 i started to have humidity about 35% but still on day 16 the air sac is not as big as with my last hatch ,
    then i think that the mispositioning of my last hatch could be due to expended airsac .
    please correct me if i am wrong

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by