1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does chickens once contracted coryza ever lay eggs again

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by luludaxia, Apr 6, 2017.

1. luludaxia

luludaxia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    I have two silkies, when they were very young, the whole brooder caught coryza, and all of them dead except that two. Now they have grown up, almost 8 months old, one hen and one rooster. They do not show any sign of disease now, but the female never lay eggs. I think other conditions should be right because most of my other hens are laying. One of my friends told me that once a chicken got coryza, even if recovered, they never lay again, he had that problem with several of his chickens. Is that true?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is not true. With respiratory diseases such as MG, coryza, and others, they may not grow or lay as well, but it isn't an automatic rule that they won't lay. The Merck Veterinary Manual states that they may havw delayed laying and less production during life. Silkies are not great layers to start with, although the two I had layed for awhile, then went broody very often, and wanted to sit on eggs. What symptoms did your chicks have when they were sick? Unless you had testing or a necropsy done, they may have had another of the respiratory diseases that cause fewer problems. Most diseases can leave carriers in the flock.

3. luludaxia

Sep 14, 2016
    They were sneezing, and have swollen eyes, with discharge around their nostril and eyes. And they seem lethargic, often buried their heads in their wings. These two I'm not sure whether they never catch it or they caught it and recovered. They never showed any symptom while all their brothers and sisters died.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That could have been MG or coryza. Coryza is know for having a bad odor. They are lucky if they didn't catch it.

5. luludaxia

Sep 14, 2016
    Yes, I forgot to add that those that caught the disease did have foul odor from their nostril. That brooder had more than 30 chicks, they are the only surviving ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by