We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Does clipping wings keep chickens in privacy fencing?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Esscee, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Esscee

Esscee In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hi! I'm planning on my first very small flock. I think I only want 4 Whiting True Blues.

I live in an urban area. There is a busy highway directly behind my yard, and dogs on both sides of me. My yard itself is not large, but I have a 6ft high solid privacy fence all the way around my backyard. If the chickens were to get out of my yard, they'd be dead meat- either because of the traffic, or the dogs.

While they will have a spacious coop and run to be in, I would also like to allow them supervised range in my backyard. I am super afraid of them scrambling up the fence during this time, though.

I know if I clip one wing, it will make it hard for them to fly. But is that all I need to do to keep them inside? Will it really keep them in the 6ft fence, or can they still flutter high enough to climb over? Is there another breed I should consider instead that is less athletic? Etc...

ValerieJ likes this.
  2. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crowing

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    It will absolutely keep them in. Also, I'm not familiar with Whiting True Blues, but I can assure you that a Buff Orpington could not fly over a fence 4 ft high. :ya

ChickNanny13 and Esscee like this.
  3. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crowing

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    And that's with unclipped wings.

ChickNanny13 and Esscee like this.
  4. yaldnif

yaldnif Songster

Jan 25, 2015
    Isle of Wight County VA
    Also look for anything near the fence that they can jump up on to fly over or into a tree branch and then escape! Been there done that lol. One of mine would jump on top of a metal waterer up into a tree branch and then over the fence.

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Not sure about the WTB but know even with clipped wings my RIR could manage my 5' fence :rolleyes: Buffs couldn't but I resolved the issue, keeping them confined is safest ... I'm fenced but neighbors on both sides have dogs. When they go over, takes too long to go around, knock on doors to try rescue any chicken.

Eggscaping, ValerieJ and Esscee like this.
  6. HopefulAcres

HopefulAcres Chirping

May 3, 2017
    Central New Mexico
    Chickens are curious climber so keep all potential climbing aids at least several feet away from the fence. Clipping one or both will stop flying but not jumping. I have three hens that will jump straight up four feet to reach a ledge or whatever helps them reach their goal. Don't let it stop you from starying a flock. Best mental health therapy around.

ChickNanny13, ValerieJ and Esscee like this.
  7. Esscee

Esscee In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thank you for the encouragement :) I'm very worried about them coming to harm, but still really want to try!

ValerieJ likes this.
  8. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    @Esscee you can keep them in if wing properly clipped. You can get a further reduction in flight capacity by clipping both wings.

Link below is pretty good for procedure. If you do it, post pictures of before and after. I suggest doing it late in day so re-clipping can be done after we review it.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Clipping-Chicken-Wings/

ValerieJ and Esscee like this.
  9. Esscee

Esscee In the Brooder

Jul 23, 2019
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks for the link and offer to review!

I see SO MANY people on this forum (and others) who say that despite clipping the wings properly, their chickens still fly high... makes me wonder if I should just go with heavier breeds to be safe.

ValerieJ likes this.
  10. Morgsgirl

Morgsgirl Chirping

Jul 29, 2017
    Heavier breeds won't necessarily keep them confined, I busted one of our Brahma hens on top of the 8' run just this week. She needed assistance to get down.

Esscee and ValerieJ like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: