1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does cold weather kill Leg Mites?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thismama, Oct 4, 2015.

1. thismama

thismama New Egg

Jun 18, 2012
    I recently purchased two Brahma/Americauna barnyard mix Hens and they had thick scales on their legs. I assumed this was just the way they were... And now I realize they have leg mites! I've started the oil/Vaseline treatment, but my question is do I need to completely muck out the coop? I've never had mite problems before and my original flock does not have leg mites. I've sprayed the roost with oil. My flock is all free range and spend little time in the coop. I've also wondered dos extremely cold weather kill mites? Our winters are on average -20/-25 Celsius and usually for a couple weeks hit -30. I don't heat the coop, just use deep litter and bales of straw to insulate well.
    Curious to hear others experiences. [​IMG]

2. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    I'd like to know this myself.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Off a host, it will probably kill the mite. However, the mites on the hens will survive because they get the warmth from the chicken. I would spray down the coop well and not worry about your yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by