Does coop square footage include any wire flooring below perches?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vttrissy, Mar 22, 2015.

1. vttrissy

vttrissy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2015
    Middlesboro, KY
    Hi All-
    I am new to chickens and really enjoying reading all of the valuable information here. I am making a coop for 6 hens (currently 2 weeks old). I understand the rules of 2 sq ft per bird of coop space and 1 ft of roosting space per bird. However, I would like to have a screen/wire floor under the perches to allow dropping to fall through. Would the space under the perches be included in the square footage of the coop? I'm not sure my chicken math is right.
    Thanks!
    -chrissy

2. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Welcome! You'll need closer to 4 sq ft of floor space per bird (large fowl), which does not include dropping wire or boards, nest boxes, or space taken up by waterers or feeders. Bigger is always better, especially if chicken math strikes.

3. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    x2

4. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    X3

If they can't throw a dance party in it, it doesn't count as sq footage.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are no rules as to how much room you need, only suggestions. Anytime someone throws out a number someone else will toss another number in the mix. Anytime someone says you have to do something one way, somebody else will come on and say I do it a different way. We keep them in so many different conditions and climates with different flock make-ups with so many different goals and management techniques that we are all unique. What works for one may not work for another.

You might follow the link in my signature to get some or the reasons why I think you need to provide more space rather than less. I find the more space I provide the fewer behavioral problems I have to deal with, the more flexibility I have to deal with things that come up, and the less hard I have to work. I’m all about making my life easier.

I’m not sure why you want that wire there but many people do things like that. If the mesh is too small you may find that the poop doesn’t necessarily go on through but can build up on the wire. I use ½” hardware cloth as flooring in my brooder and grow-out coop and find that at about age 12 to 14 weeks the poop stops falling on through.

Another thing with wire. Not all wire is created equal. Some wire can have small sharp points at welds or such that can nick a chicken’s feet. Check to make sure the wire is smooth on the side they may be walking on.

Good luck!

6. vttrissy

vttrissy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2015
    Middlesboro, KY
    Thanks everyone!
    After looking at the 4 square foot per bird rule-of-thumb, it's amazing that it doesn't much mention that one top of the square footage, you should have more room for nesting boxes and feeders. Thanks for your help! I think I've come up with a design that will work. I'll post pics soon.
    -chrissy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by