1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does DE do a good job of worming?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by srfjeld, Mar 4, 2012.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    I have a chicken who eats like she's famished but doesn't seem to gain any weight... in fact, she feels like she's feather and bones. She has great energy though. Due to her feathers, you'd never know she's lacking in weight. I'm not certain it's from worms or parasites but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try that route. I'd like to do it naturally. If I mix some in their food, could this be all she needs?

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    It seems, from reading on here, that most find DE is more of a preventative than a treatment for an infestation.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Nope. DE is useless as a wormer. You need to look at some other methods.

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Making sure I understand... is she the same type/breed of chicken as your others? And is she the only one who is feathers and bone? Do you see any other signs of parasites? Look for posts from dawg53 for worming recommendations...he's the best. Doing some things naturally is great, worming is not one of them.

5. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Yes, my buff is the only one who seems very lean. My cochin is hefty. They only get to free-range on the weekends b/c of my schedule. I've inspected the pooh as much as I can but I can't find any worms. Maybe she's healthy as can be and BOs are just really thin? But I thought I'd read that they get pretty big.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    They do get big...eventually. They tend to grow out and fill in slowly. How old is your bird?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    She might be the lowest one in the pecking order and gets chased away from the feeder(s) by the others when you're not at home. Also, thoroughly inspect her for lice/mites. If you decide to worm one, worm them all. A chicken can have worms without seeing them in poop. If you see them in poop, it's an infestation usually and internal damage has occured.

8. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    I only have 2 hens and she's definitely the dominant one. After speaking with a person at the feed store, I came home and put ACV in the water and added some chick starter to their layer feed. She told me it should help so I'll wait and see.

9. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Oh, and she's 10 months old.

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Yeah, as I said in your other post. BOs grow out slowly. I don't think mine reached their full size until they were about 1.5-2 years old. They are really gangly until then...kind of like teenage boys...all limbs and rail thin.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by