Does DE prevent mites and lice?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChicMagnet33, Apr 26, 2017.

1. ChicMagnet33

ChicMagnet33 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2017
    South Jersey
    I recently purchased a 50lb bag of DE off Amazon after doing a little reading on BYC about it, it seemed to have numerous benefit to the chickens for various reasons. One of the reason I read about was preventing mites and lice. How true is this and how effective is DE in preventing these issues with my ladies?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Added to a dust bath area, it can help prevent mites and lice. But you do need to be careful with it. It can cause damage to respiratory systems, and can harm beneficial soil organisms.

3. laceychicken

laceychicken Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    I recently discovered Kleen Green for mites and more. Sold as a concentrate by Natural Ginesis company. Totally safe... it dissolves mites and bacteria etc. really great stuff. Use it on the birds and in the coop.

4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

DE is not only ineffective... it's also dangerous for you and your chickens to breath! [​IMG] And possibly one of the most controversial subject here on BYC. [​IMG]

Many who *claim* it works as a preventative... may in fact just not have issues and assume the DE is working. I say show me # counts before and after use of DE! I wanna see science. [​IMG]

It also does not work as a wormer as many claim. It is a soft porous rock that gets ground down by other harder rocks in the gizzard before it ever reached the intestines where it is claimed to work for that.

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It's a good preventative measure. We use stove ashes for same purpose. I finally had to treat the birds this spring after 5 years of no serious mite/lice/flea infestation. It's not failsafe measure but a good preventative.

6. laceychicken

May 31, 2014
    Kleen Green will not cause respiratory problems. I spray my hens on a warm day while in their nests. Totally harmless.

7. EggSighted4Life

The dust area my girls use needs to have dirt added to it or it becomes a chasm. Which means they are carrying all that away from there and it floats into the air around them every time they shake out... possibly going into the eyes of other birds and creating those microscopic cuts that are meant to dehydrate the parasites and letting the birds immune system repair all those micro cuts you don't know about because you can't see them.

Of course every one has their own perspective and I am just sharing mine. [​IMG]

8. laceychicken

May 31, 2014
    Kleen Green by Natural Ginesis company. It is for mites, bacteria etc, Harmless if swallowed etc. spray chickens and coops.
    Great stuff.

9. EggSighted4Life

What is the active ingredient?

Permethrin also gets rid of mites and such.. and has an organic version called pyrethrins... made from chrysanthemum extracts... or Elector PSP.

But depending on your location and climate... may not need it at all. In the desert city, I never did... but in the PNW, wildlife rules and pests can change seasonally.

10. laceychicken

May 31, 2014
    Kleen Green by (www.naturalginesis.com) is an enzyme cleaner. It works on mites of all kinds, bed bugs, body lice, scabies, fleas and all sorts of plant and house pests, safely. Used it on chickens, dogs, cats and humans.
    It is an organic, multi-exzyme-based product, non-toxic and ecologically compatible and contains protease, amylase, lipase and cellulase. It us formulated to promote penetration and emulsification of oily or fatty substances to increase micro-organism activity. This accelerates the destruction of odor causing conditions and makes it an excellent cleaning agent. The formula is non-hazardous and nonflammable. There is no need for protective clothes, gloves or boots. Kleen Green is comprised of naturally occuring organic materials combined with surfactants and other biologically stimulatin ingredients. The formula will help remove and eliminate dirt, germs, bacteria and assists in cleaning away pests.......

You do not have to worry about your chickens inhaling dust or getting dust in their eyes during a treatment. You can bathe them in a solution of it or spray it on.

They have a small bottle for poultry, but the formula is the same as their large 64 oz both are concentrates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by