Does Durvet Vitamins & Electrolytes have enough niacin for ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cymbaline, Mar 16, 2013.

1. cymbaline

cymbaline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    central WV
    I might just be paranoid, but it seems like one of my almost 3-week old babies is sitting an awful lot. This one grew leaps and bounds in just a couple days, so maybe it's just adjusting to the extra size and weight of itself, I don't know. I've been mixing Durvet V & E in their water this whole time, thinking surely it would provide the extra niacin, and plenty of other good stuff too. Now I'm wondering if it's enough, and if I should switch to regular water and specifically add niacin myself. Any thoughts?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Sitting down a lot can be normal but I personally would just use regular water and add niacin myself.

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Since it's a multi-species mix (if I remember correctly) I doubt it has enough niacin. Ducklings can go through growth spurts and be a little unsteady on their feet. I don't add vitamins/electrolytes to water. I feed a commercial feed to my ducklings and they are a complete diet. Too much of a good thing can be bad. I'd stop the vitamins and start niacin. 100-150 mg per gallon or water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by