Does easter eggers feathers stay soft??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LindsaySinai, Jun 28, 2011.

1. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    My two hens feel like velvet...the Rhode Islands are a lot more coarse. Do they stay that soft or is it because they're still only 6 months??

2. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Easter Eggers are not a pure breed so the characteristics are all different depending on what breeds are in them.

3. LindsaySinai

LindsaySinai Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:So...I bought them at a feed store as Ameraucanas but then I read there's rarely a true Ameraucana and they're just easter eggers, and like you said not pure bred. Is that true, or if I bought them as Ameraucanas are they pure bred and not necessarily easter eggers???

4. Mrs. Cannon

Mrs. Cannon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Vandalia, IL
    Quote:So...I bought them at a feed store as Ameraucanas but then I read there's rarely a true Ameraucana and they're just easter eggers, and like you said not pure bred. Is that true, or if I bought them as Ameraucanas are they pure bred and not necessarily easter eggers???

if you got them from a feed store they are more than likely to be EEs (easter eggers) hatcherys usually advertise them as ameraucana and americanas but they are usually EEs. But EEs are absolutly wonderful pretty birds [​IMG]

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Better chance of getting hit by lightning on a sunny day or winning the Mega Millions than a hatchery selling a true Ameraucana..sorry
    However, we prefer our EE to our Ameraucana and have sold most of our Ameraucana and increased our EE pens...get to have fun with them if you want to breed them since there is no breed standard and can work on a cross that works well for your climate whatever that may be and still get the pretty eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by