Does EE roo +BR hen= black sex link chick?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lil Jon s mama, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Lil Jon s mama

Lil Jon s mama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2016
    NEPA
    Good morning. I never tried this before and not sure if it will work. Will either of these EE roosters father sex link chicks. I have BR SS & Lorps hens ( pullets for now will be next spring). I'm thinking the standard red rooster & BR will make a black sex link buuuut what do you all think??
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG].

2. chickencraz

chickencraz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Washington State
    I think the red one will work. The blue/white/red one might have too much white for it to work.

3. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Yes. To make black sex links, the hen must be barred and the rooster any color but barred or dominant white. All chicks with a white spot on the head are male. The rest are female.

4. Lil Jon s mama

Jul 21, 2016
    NEPA
    Fantastic, life will be so much easier knowing if its male or female on day one. Will the females lay green/blue eggs?

5. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Only if the roosters carry at least one blue shell allele. If they are heterozygous for blue egg gene, then 50% of the chicks will be heterozygous for the trait as well. The other 50% lay brown eggs. The gene for blue eggs is dominant, so about 50% of the pullets would lay blue (or green) eggs.

If the roosters are homozygous for blue shells, then all of their pullets will lay blue eggs. Bred back to their father or another rooster that lays blue eggs, all their offspring will lay blue/green eggs too.

6. Lil Jon s mama

Jul 21, 2016
    NEPA
    Nice I always wanted to hatch my own chicks but was afraid of becoming attached to baby Roos. If this works huge problem solved. I'll get my gals and sister in law can raise the boys then have us over for dinner. I really dont care what color eggs are just find it interesting how the genetic thing works.
    Any idea what coloring crossing a
    ee roo + speckled sussex= ?
    Ee roo + australorp = ?
    would create? I understand sex link won't work but will there be a specific color / pattern when mixing them??

7. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    EEs are hybrids, so you can't really know what their chicks would turn out to look like, unfortunately. You should get some pretty chicks though.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Australorps will produce black chicks if bred to the red boy and 50% black, 50% blue with the blue and silver boy. The Blue and silver boy will also contribute a Blue gene to about 50% of his chicks, regardless of the hen. The chicks will be identical to the black sexlink pullets, though.
    The speckling of the Sussex is recessive. All chicks will carry a copy, but not express it. All chicks will be red/gold if bred to the red boy, with varying patterns. If bred to the Blue/Silver rooster with red leakage, you'll get 50% silver base color, 50% red/gold base color. No telling how the pattern genes will express, but half will have blue patterning instead of black.

9. Lil Jon s mama

Jul 21, 2016
    NEPA
    Thanks I can't wait see how chicks turn out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by