Does egg shape influence gender? How successful were you in using egg shape theory?

If you used the egg shape methid and set only rounded eggs, what percentage were pullets?

• Way above average (80-100% pullets)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Above average (60-79% pullets)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • About average (40-59% pullets)

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Below average (less than 40% pullets)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

trailrider330

Crowing
9 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Midwest America
I know there are other similar threads on BYC, but someone suggested starting a poll on this topic so I thought I would.

The theory is that rounded eggs produce pullets at hatch, while pointier eggs produce cockerels. Some feel this theory is just an Old Wives Tale, while others feel there is merit to it.

The last time I set every egg, regardless of shape, I averaged near 50/50 males to females. Two months later, with the same roosters and hens, I set only rounded eggs and that hatch resulted in 83% pullets. Perhaps this was just coincidence, as I have not attempted to replicate this on a large scale, but given my success the first time I tried using the egg shape theory, I am certainly willing to try it again.

If you have attempted using egg shape to predict a hatch, please feel free to participate in the poll or add any comments. You may vote once for every hatch you attempt using this method.

Given that a hens eggs are generally the same shape throughout her laying cycle this would mean that a hen would only produce cockerels or pullets - I have never found this to be true.

My grandma swore by this method. I have tried it numerous times, with the same results. About a 50/50 mix of roosters and hens. I even set all pointy eggs one time. Which according to the old timers, should have produced almost all roosters. The ratio of roosters and hens was normal. Even though I did experience a lower hatch rate than usual.

Back
Top Bottom