Does even small specks of blood mean cocci?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TripMomma, Feb 24, 2015.

1. TripMomma

TripMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Does even small specks of blood mean cocci? Can my girl that is walking like she is drunk be fighting cocci? I haven't seen any specks of blood from her, but a couple others I have. They were treated with Sulmet Feb 10-15th, they seemed fine until the drunk walking started yesterday...I did notice the specks of blood 3 or so days ago but it is so small I wasn't sure I should worry. You guys are always such a huge help to me...should I treat them again, I really don't want to lose my drunk walker. I started the Poly-vi-sol last night but so far no big change. She is still trying to eat and drink but I don't know how much longer she will hang on. Her eyes have started to go slit-ish and I think she is getting weaker. I will add some poop pics of the specks of blood, this was this morning before their first change of the day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you treat her with Corid? How old is she? If you can't get Corid, then I would consider treating her again with Sulmet. Has she been taking enough fluids, and eating normally since she had the Sulmet?

3. TripMomma

TripMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Yeah, they all responded really well to the sulmet...no problems at all until I noticed this drunk walking yesterday.

I can't get to the feed store until Thursday, so I will start the sulmet today and switch on Thursday.

Can I give a concentrated dose by mouth, or just the 2 TBsp per gallon?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I wouldn't recommend a concentrated dose of Sulmet, since it can be hard on the kidneys and hearing. It would be okay to give her the mixed medicine as much as you can get into her.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If you ran a full course treatment of sulmet per instructions on the bottle, do NOT retreat with sulmet again. Do NOT give a concentrated dose...more is NOT better, it will cause internal organ damage and bleeding in your hen as Eggcessive mentioned.
    I highly recommend that you provide buttermilk mixed with scrambled eggs to all your affected birds for 2 days AND particularly your "drunk" walking hen. The buttermilk will slow cocci growth while at the same time help rebuild their immune system. The scrambled egg is extra protein to help rebuild strength. Then provide the corid the third day. The corid 9.6% liquid solution dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5 days. Do not add anything to the mixture and make it fresh each day. The corid 20% soluable powder dosage is 1 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by