Does every ebay seller charge outrageous shipping?!?!?!??

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I understand everyone is trying to make a buck, but if you have a listing for 6+ eggs at $13 shipping, it does not cost an additional $7 to ship 6+ more in the same box!! That is so aggravating!!
barnie.gif

Quote:
It is ridiculous! I feel bad charging an extra $1-$2 dollars for the egg cartons I have to buy, and all the other packing stuff I use. I don't see how anyone can charge so much for something
rant.gif

Really it is ebay that is becoming unreasonable and I have been forced to do the same thing. First you can only accept paypal or another similar service which charges you a .30 cent fee plus a percentage of the sale price, I believe ebay owns paypal. Ebay also charges you a cents amount then a % of the sale. It costs at the very least .15 cents to post a listing. NOW you can not accept checks or money orders so you are forced to use the paypal and fees. Also you have to include insurance because ebay thinks you are responsible for the shippers behavior. They have really turned it into a mess. If I wasnt selling piano rolls where I do not have any idea what the value is I would use craigslist. It is really unfair. I have to make money somehow. I have to cover the costs of the fees, insurance, boxes, trip to the PO, packing material... Someone needs to start one that charges a flat rate to post and leave it at that. I have lost 3 times on ebay and I can assure you they are NO HELP in resolving issues and I hate having to use paypal, just look up paypal bad on Goggle. If I remember when it is all done I will let you know what I made and the fees I paid.

In the defense of eBay let me just say this. It isn't eBay you all should get angry at. It is the individual sellers. I sell quite a few things on eBay and I never, ever overcharge someone for shipping. On the rare instance that I charge someone more than the "actual postage fee" it is because it required special packaging or something additional that I had to buy. That being said, it's not like you aren't aware of the total cost of an item upfront. The shipping charges are clearly stated. If you aren't willing to pay for that, don't use that seller.

I will however, agree, that some times shady sellers will intrigue buyers with a cheap cost (say... $0.99) and then charge $30 for shipping. Sometimes, if you are getting things from china (not eggs obviously) that is the actual cost, and the actual shipping cost.

Take home story: Read all the details and ask the seller any questions first. Personally, I often loose money on shipping because I will charge less than the postage cost me, because I underestimated.

Quote:
Very few of the egg auctions charge insurance, it's really pointless to do so. The post office won't cover it on eggs anyway, unless the box is completely smashed or lost. I am charged for the listing, and ebay charges a percent of the sale. Paypal doesn't, and they charge a percent of the monies received, but they do that with anything, not just ebay sales. That is their charge for using their services. I wouldn't want to take money orders on egg sales even if they did take them, normally I have the eggs already ready when the person wins. If I had to wait for a money order, the eggs wouldn't be any good. That still doesn't explain why someone would charge half as much of the shipping to add something to the same box.

Quote:
I agree, this isn't ebay that I have the problem with, it's the greedy sellers. I saw a listing for some splash OEGB eggs, and the same seller has blue OEGB as well. Both were at starting bid of $2.99 (for 8+) with shipping of $12 something. I emailed the seller to see how much combined shipping would be on both auctions, and they told me it would be half the shipping price for the second set. It does not cots $17 to ship 1-2 dozen bantam eggs!! At most (if they know what they're doing) it should cost about $10. That would be if they were on the west coast, and I don't believe they were. It's just someone trying to get the most for what they have. Like I said, the only extra I charge on mine is $1-$2 for packing materials, but I also charge 'actual' shipping, which make mine even cheaper. I just don't understand. Needless to say, that seller had to relist both their auctions, cause they didn't even get one bid. They sure won't from me! Not until they lower their shipping costs.

I sell many eggs on ebay, and dont over charged. But have seen many seller doing so. One seller was charging more to ship 6 call duck eggs, than I charge for 5 peafowl eggs.

When ask he said, his time packing,and gas going to post office.
somad.gif

Back
Top Bottom