does feather development really matter on sexed chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cracked_egg, Jul 8, 2010.

1. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    So I have 9 SLW that are about 2.5 weeks old.... They were all sexed as females, but a few don't seem to have many tail feathers (or feathers period, for that matter) compared to the others... I don't seem to notice this with the BOs.... So are these incorrectly sexed or just odd chicks?

Also, I have a really dark dominique that's about 6 weeks old... Is that a he? Are the like BRs in the coloring?

It seems odd to me because I have 5 straight run black copper marans amd 3 sebrights that are also 2.5 weeks and they all seem to have equal feathering... They can't all be female can they?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sexing is only 90% accurate at best, so yes you could have a few SLW cockerels on your hands.

3. cracked_egg

cracked_egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    I get the 90% thing, but 3 out of 9 don't have much feathering when compared to the others....on top of that, I have 5 marans who all have equal feathering (straight run) and two look to be possible roos... They have bigger combs and fatter legs.... But I'm only 90 percent sure about 1....

On the sebrights I can't see any feather difference, just one is much larger than the other two (straight run also)...

I don't know, guess time will tell. I'll be mad if I have three SLW roos cuz I can't keep 3 and I love the SLW....

4. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Each differnt type of chicken developes at different rates. Some chickens are known to mature slower than others. And even within each species of chiken, each chick developes a little differently than others. Some faster, some slower. I know I'm not much help but maybe this can explain some of the developement issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by