1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does feeding expired yogurt increase egg production

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LBrake, Feb 10, 2017.

1. LBrake

LBrake Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2017
    I've been seeing on Facebook a claim that people fed their chickens expired yogurt and nearly doubled their egg production within the first week of giving it to the chickens. Anyone know anything about this?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    No more than feeding a good feed-----that yogurt thing is all over FB etc. I fed my chickens layer feed and had been getting 4/5 eggs a day----then in a few days I was getting up to 14 eggs a day--it was just time for the flock to pick up----days are getting longer. I believe Nothing I hear and probably less than 1/2 of what I see.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    2 people like this.
  3. jonrobinson500

jonrobinson500 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2014
    Near Chichester, UK
    Hi There

I tried to feed my chickens yoghurt but they pretty much rejected it!

Pretty sure that this is just a myth but happy to be proved wrong ;)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I seem to recall reading here on BYC that the calcium in yoghurt is largely not bio-available to chickens. I have given expired yoghurt to my chickens and they love it - but i only do so rather than throwing it away (and for the amusement of watching them eat it[​IMG]). I think I also read that the pro-biotic stuff can help restore gut flora / fauna after de-worming [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  5. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Debunked. Earlier.

However, I do add a few tablespoons of yogurt while I am fermenting their feed...can't hurt and probably helps the fermenting process...lovely bubbles emerge...and the chickens benefit, I am sure....healthiest chicken guts ever!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by