Does fowl pox cause a lot of swelling? Pic added post 4

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hennypen, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I just noticed that my silkie roo has a ton of swelling above his eye. Looks like an extra comb it's so big. Any thoughts as to what it could be?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Does he already have signs of Fowl Pox, do any of your other birds have it? There are other things that could cause facial swelling, an eye or sinus infection, an infected wound. Please post a photo if you can, give us more details.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    When my flock went through fowl pox, one had facial swelling, I assume from a secondary infection, but the rest did not, just flat black spots on combs and wattles. It would be odd to have only one with fowl pox. They do get styes -- a staph infection, if I recall. You could try some neosporin or the ophthalmic ointment from the feed store.

4. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    I'll get a picture. He's acting fine and the only one with any kind of abnormality.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  5. Hennypen

Jun 14, 2009
    No signs of fowl pox in that I don't see anything on the comb or anywhere else. This roo is the only one of all birds with the swelling. He's not acting sick.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by