does free-ranging = bigger eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by technodoll, Nov 16, 2009.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I seem to be getting some pretty darn big eggs lately...

The flock has been free-ranging more and more the past couple of weeks, up to 6 hours a day now.

Coincidence??

[​IMG]

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Not sure if the free ranging is the reason...as they get older (the chickens) eggs should get bigger.

3. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

IMHO free ranging results in more flavorful eggs, bright orange yolks and a good 'fresh egg" taste in the frying pan....
    Larger? Don't think so, size is related to breed usually, like my Golden Orbs lay smaller eggs than the White Barred Rocs do.

4. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    OK, thanks - as I thought, probably coincidence!

They sure are getting a lot of good food lately [​IMG]

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:Egg size depends upon breed, the weight of the hen, and protein intake.

Hens eat to provide for caloric needs. If they are running around a lot, or if the weather is cold, or both, then they need more calories and will eat more. Yet they only need a given amount of protein in their ration each day. If they are eating a lot of feed to take in more calories then the extra protein they are getting can cause egg size to increase.

But then again you would think that some of that protein would be offset by free range consumption...

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Not larger, but harder to find YES. [​IMG]

7. technodoll

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Luckily the girls love their nesting boxes too much to lay anywhere else, thank GOODNESS!!

Or so I think [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by