does he have to be registered with the vet?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Johnn, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    ok so i have been buying wormers for my dog that i found out online asrnt very affective i want to go to the vets and get one but my dog is not registered with the vets, will they still let me?

2. Olwethen

Olwethen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    near Athens GA
    It depends on the Vets in your area. It is required that a veterinarian have an established relationship with a client/patient before dispensing prescription drugs. So, it will boil down to whether the Vet you choose considers dewormers to be prescription items. As a Vet Tech, I will tell you you need to establish a relationship with a Veterinarian in your area for your dog's health. When your dog becomes sick or injured, and trust me, it does happen, you want to know that you are taking your dog to a place that knows you both and that you can trust. A vet that knows you is also more likely to work out payment arrangements if/when you need them.

You didn't say how old your dog is, but it also needs vaccines and heartworm prevention. Some of these items can only be obtained through a licensed veterinarian.

As for the worm issue, a vet clinic can identify the specific type of parasite your pet has and give you the appropriate dewormer in the appropriate amount.

Time for you to start looking for a Vet.

Stephanie in GA

3. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    well we only got out dog in febuary and he turned 1 in june, he has never had to go to the vets before

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

If you can find a local "farm" vet go with them an stay far away from house pet vets with nice building. Save you a lot of money. Farm vets are getting harder to find though.

5. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    like people, dogs need regular check-ups. Especially since they can't talk to tell us if they don't feel well.
    I don't do vaccines past puppy shots. I do my own heartworm meds. I do my own worming meds. But I still take the dogs to the vet approx once a year for a check-up. I have a good working relationship with my vets office. It's allowed me to make payment arrangements for emergency treatment. It's allowed me to be confident in the office's ability to handle my dogs.

Another plus, that a lot of people don't think about. I take my dogs to the office on a regular basis, just to put them on the scale and say hi to the staff. I want the office to be a familiar happy place for them. That way, they aren't freaking out, panicked, in the waiting room when we do have an appt. Or even worse, if they are injured. They know the staff and the staff knows them. No reason to add extra stress to an already sick animal, right?

At one year old, has the dog not had his rabies shot? Those are required by law. If your dog was to bite someone (or be accused of biting) then you could be in some legal trouble. Including a large bill for the dog's quarantine. Also, even though you can buy rabies vaccines at many/most feed stores or online, they don't count if the dog is to bite a person. They are intended for protection against bites from wildlife. To be legal, the shot has to be given by a licensed vet.

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Quote:my vet is a large animal vet. He has a VERY nice clinic. And a huge barn, with an operating room. And several paddocks. And a fully equipped vehicle for making house calls. All the vets charge the same amount, with my vet being slightly more expensive.

Expense is really going to depend on your area. A spay here costs about $120 for a GSD. I've chatted with other people who have paid over $600. My mom paid $80

7. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    If your dog is already over a year old, he's actually already missed several things he "needed" to see the vet for, like rabies vac, lyme vac, distemper vac, parvo vac, heart worm base-line blood tests, heart worm meds, and flea/tick preventative, to name a few. And then, depending on whether he's a show dog that you'll want to breed, there's the little matter of neutering. Here in PA, getting your dog licensed is based strongly on having it rabies vaccinated. And, pro-actively treating for heart worm and using the flea/tick drops will prevent having to treat for worms at all. The old adage, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," is pretty much on the mark. Hope you and your dog have long, happy & healthy lives together! [​IMG]

8. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Probably not. You might want to invest in a vet visit. If you take a stool sample they'll be able to tell what kind of worm your dog has (if he has them at all) and they'll know exactly what medicine will work to kill that species of worm. In addition they'll test the dog for heartworm and you can get some preventative for him. Has he been vaccinated? You MUST make sure he's had a Rabies vaccine at the very least.

It is illegal in many states for a Vet to prescribe medicine for an animal he's never seen. You've got to take the dog in for the Vet to be able to help you. Just like you can't just call up a human doctor, describe what you think is wrong with your child, and get him to write you a prescription. Any doctor or vet doing so risks his license.

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Quote:Those laws vary dramatically by state.

10. Olwethen

Olwethen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    near Athens GA
    Quote:You don't say where you got him or what medical care he had received previously, but if he turned 1 in June, he was about 8 months old in February. Did you take him to the vet for a check up when you got him?
    Has he had his puppy series of vaccinations along with his rabies vaccine? Is he neutered? Where have you been buying flea meds or heartworm meds? If he was given his puppy shots at the recommended age then he is now due for his boosters. At least Rabies.

There are people out there that can do a lot of their vetting themselves, like heartworm meds, shots, etc... they're experienced and they've asked the right people the right questions.

It is good that you are here asking questions.

Stephanie in GA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by