Does he need wormed?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Johnn, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    The other day i saw my dog eating cat poo out side someone farm and i know for a fact they have worms, should i work him again?

2. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    John....we have been over this I don't k now how many times. You need to only deworm your dog if you KNOW it has worms. You have no idea what kind of worms it has unless a vet runs a fecal and tells you what kind of worms it has. You can't just use that over the counter dewormer that you have used in the past to kill all worms because it won't....it will only kill certain kinds. Please take a fecal sample to your vet and let them tell you if the dog needs to be dewormed. He will furnish you with the correct dewormer.

3. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    the tablets i have for him now are given by the vet.

4. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    the way i know the cats have worms is they have big pot bellys and you can still see there ribs

5. carolinagirl58

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:But you don't know what kind of worms the cat has either, so you can't know what kind of worms your dog might have. And since no worm tablet kills ALL worms, you need to get the vet to do a fecal.

6. pinkfoxfarm

pinkfoxfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    In LaLaLand
    nope, no deworming untill a fecal is done..
    you need different dewormers for different types of worms and all kinds of worms can case pot belly look, it could be any number of parisites...without knwoing which one you have NO idea if the dewormer you have is going to work...

and by continually deworming without knowing if its an effective dewormer for the types of parisities he might have picked up your overloading your dog with chemcials it might not even need...

it woudl be like giving you antibiotics because you MIGHT have been exposd to a virus...you not only might not need the anitbiotics, but they may be the wrong antibiotics for the virus you might have picked up...
    dont guess...keep an eye on him, if he starts to show symptoms (or in about 2 weeks) get a fecal done and go from there...

7. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    it has been 2 weeks since it happened i jsut couldnt post because i was banned

8. carolinagirl58

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:OK....but the answer is still the same. If you are worried about worms, get the vet to do a fecal and see what kind of worms the dog has and then treat with the appropriate dewormer.

9. pinkfoxfarm

pinkfoxfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    In LaLaLand
    ok its been 2 weeks, that means that if your dog consumed parisite eggs you should be seeing early signs at this point including potenitally seeing live worms in the poop...
    does he have a distended stomach? is he eating CONSTANTLY ut loosing weight? is his skin/coat dry? are you seeing little grians of rice around his butt or live worms in the poop...
    if the answer to these is no its unlikely he has worms...have a vet do a fecal if your unsure...
    if he is showing any of the symptoms above...have a vet do a fecal to find out what kind of worms he has and treat accordingly...

10. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    is he constantley eating:no, picks at his food all day.
    is his coat dry:no it is soft
    live worms in poop or around butt? no
    grains of rice around bum? no

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by