Does it always hold true

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Tallgirl17, May 17, 2010.

1. Tallgirl17

Tallgirl17 In the Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    St.Louis area/IL
    for chicks that have slow feather growth on the wing bows and tails, to turn out as roos? I have 8, three week olds and 3 of them seem to be pretty behind. I know to wait until crowing or laying but I was just curious. If it seems to hold true then I can't belive my luck, since I got all of them as "pullets" [​IMG] Thanks in advance to all words of wisdom!

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Mostly yes, but not always. I have had roos grow in fast, evenly and crow later, and had pullets grow in like the pattern you describe. Just depends on their genetics. Hopefully yours are pullets... [​IMG]

If you look at their legs, and they also have very heavy bone in their lower leg joint and larger feet, and more cartilage over the bridge of the nose in addition to the slow feathering, they are likely roos... [​IMG]

3. Tallgirl17

Apr 24, 2010
    St.Louis area/IL
    Oh man! I really hope my are just late bloomers!!!! I will check on their legs and feet now. Thanks!

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:It only works if the chicks are the product of a homozygous fast feathering male over a slow feathering female. Unless you know for sure what the genotype of the parents were, you cannot be certain that this method will be effective.

5. Tallgirl17

Apr 24, 2010
    St.Louis area/IL
    The suspects in question are a SLW,SS and black australorp. Does the feather growth sexing work for these breeds?

6. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    3 out of 4 of my current batch of RSL pullets were slow feathering. Post some pictures and the experts may be able to give you a good idea if they are roos or not.

7. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Songster

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Yeah well.....out of the 4 in my last set only 1 had fast feather growth. So, I thought speedy was the only girl. 3 months later, speedy is a boy and they're are 2 girls who feathered in very slowly! Only 1 of the ones with slow feather growth was a boy. lol Give it time.....they could surprise you!

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    As LilPeeps mentioned, it is not breed specific, it is based on how the parent stock is bred and if they were fast feathering or slow feathering.

9. emjay

emjay Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    all of my 17 babies grew out feathers fast, and I definitely have some roos in there. no crowing yet, but, definitely.
    I was hoping due to the fast tail growth, that I had lucked out. nope.

but, mine are EE's and EE mixes, they have no rhyme or reason. still trying to figure them out.

10. Tallgirl17

Apr 24, 2010
    St.Louis area/IL
    I will post pics soon. They don't seem to like to cooperate with the camera and I've been busy building their fort Knox coop. All by myself I might add b/c the hubby is deployed and we just moved into the area, so no handy friends yet! These chicks better love me!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: