Does it get too late to hatch chicks??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, Jul 5, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I am currently looking to purchase an incubator (man, I'm addicted), I'm wondering if it's getting too "late" to hatch chicks? By the time I get the incubator and the eggs, and they hatch it might be end of August. That means they would go in the coop in the fall / winter.. We have cold winters here. Does this not make a difference, or do you normally hatch earlier so they get out in the coop in the nice summer days?

Thanks in advance!

2. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Well, we dont know where "here" is since you didnt tell us where you are from.

In my case, in NC, I stopped hatching about a month ago. Not because I couldnt hatch, but because with the gradening and other outside work, I didnt have the time to fool with a bunch of chicks. I do plan onsetting some more eggs sometime in late August. They will be plenty old enought to survive any cold winter weather we might get in my part of the world. My reason for hatching in late August or Early Sept is to raise replacement birds for my current flock. By hatching in late fall, the hens will be point of lay by March or early spring. Any birds I dont need I can easily sale as point of lay birds when the demand is the greatest and prices are the highest.

3. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for sharing what your plans are... I'm in Wisconsin. We have some cold winters here, but from the sounds of it, I'm sure they'd be big enough and handle it fine. I feel myself caving..hmm....

4. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I hatch all year round. Last year we were in PA and had a TON of snow and ice and cold. Having a brooder with a heat lamp is the best thing for babies. The putting a heat lamp in the coop as well. It helps to keep the younger ones warm in the coldest days.

5. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a heat lamp in our big chicken house, as well as in the chick house. Winters can be vicious here with lots of cold rain, which can be really hard on any chicken, no matter how old.

6. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    HD,

I am in Wisconsin as well. And I planned my last hatch for mid/end of August. To me by November they will be fully feathered and if we get an early winter they will be fine.

Where are you in WI?

7. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I'm a couple hours north of Madison in a small town. How about you?

8. anthonyjames

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Port Washington. Just south of Sheboygan 20 mintues 2 miles off the lake.

I know the madison area well. Spent plenty of time riding out there for 3 of the ironmans I did out there. After them I did 4 others in the country and then had kids. Not so much training time anymore. Now I raise poultry and ride in the morning and hike on weekends with my girls.

9. hd_darcy

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Iron mans?! Wow, soooo impressed! That's funny, fitness is my #1 hobby, and chickens are a 2nd now [​IMG] Of course my boys (human) are superior to that....but.... Anyway, I work as a part-time personal trainer. I couldn't even do one portion of an iron man though [​IMG] That is a huge accomplishment (which, of course you know)... I also know how having kids changes the dynamics of life though!!

We are just getting into biking this year too. A great thing that the whole family can do!! (well, w/ a trailer, and a trail-a-bike that is) [​IMG]

Nice to "meet" you! [​IMG]

10. anthonyjames

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    nice meeting you as well. And I under the the Trail a Bike and Trailer. People look at me like I am crazy with the trail a bike behind me and the trailer attached to that.

Thank goodness parks are only 5 or 6 miles apart so my knees get a break for about 25 minutes between parks.

Good luck with your hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by