Does it have a chance?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vfem, Mar 4, 2009.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I had a hatch last week, and she was doing great! She is now off to her new home already. During that time I had 3 other eggs under mama to hatch, when 2 were done in by an egg eater!!! I had one left with no visual damage to the shell.

I took mama, baby and egg inside where she could be left in peace to hatch the last one.

Well the last one still hasn't hatched... but here's the kicker... it was the mysterious stolen egg!!! Only 3 under the mama were the originals I LET her have.... more then a week into her setting I noticed an extra unmarked egg. So I let her have it because I didn't know how long it was there. It went under her sometime between the 8th of Feb and even the 14th of feb.

I've candled it, and it is very dark inside. I can see a bit of the egg's yolk near where the chick is... and the airsac doesn't look huge at all. It seems the right size. I just don't see ANY movement, but I've only candled it once yesterday.

Does it have a chance at hatching or should I just give up? This round is our first round of hatching their own eggs and it hasn't gone well. I know one of my other chickens is getting ready to go broody again.... and I'd like to try again to have some ready for March. The one I want eggs from the most is the one sitting on that last egg in my bathroom!!!

Anyways to tell if its still alive and willing to try to fight its way out? That egg has been through some serious trauma!??!

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    There is always a chance. Why not give it a try?

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I say try to hatch it out, you have nothing to lose. If she is willing to set there go for it!

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    yeah let it have a chance maybe it still has a few days

[​IMG]

5. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ok, I went in and checked on her... the egg was kinda cold, she was sitting in her food dish [​IMG]

Either she gave up, or she knows something is wrong with the egg.

If I find her moved from it again today.... she's going back out to the coop!!!

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Did she go back to it?

7. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    No she gave up [​IMG]

It was very cold yesterday afternoon from her not sitting on it. She's back out in the coop and is completely over being broody. She's back to wondering the yard again and no one is setting.

The baby wasn't moving inside the egg, and think it may have given up a couple of days ago. [​IMG]

8. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    [​IMG]I'm sorry... She did good though. 4 weeks is a long time! I'll keep you updated on Delilah and I am very sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by