Does it hurt to get tailfeathers?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by backintime, May 23, 2008.

1. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have 2 light brahmas amongst my new flock of 8 chicks. They are all 2 weeks old and getting their tailfeathers in. The area around the light brahma's tailfeathers looks red and sore, unlike the other breeds. Is it because the new feather shafts are so large compared to their downy fuzz? Neither the brahma chicks nor their companions are picking at the pink area. Anybody else ever noticed such a thing?

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Hmmm.....I wouldn't think it would hurt for them to grow in. I've never noticed anything like that with my chicks. It's possible that some of the feather shafts are irritating the skin, maybe they aren't breaking through the skin right. I honestly don't know, this is just speculation. Maybe someone else can help!

3. backintime

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thanks cjeanean. The 2 chicks in question are the most docile of the flock. They don't seem to be in any distress. It just LOOKS sore to me . . . and since this is my first attempt at raising chicks, I have no prior experience to guide me.

4. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

After I moved my chicks from the brooder to the outside coop my light brahmas all had bloody tails. The other birds didn't. I had two heat lamps on that night so there was plenty of light to keep them awake. I figured the brahmas had broken some blood vessels while preening the new tail feathers and the other chicks took advantage of it. I put vaseline on the pecked areas and got a red heat lamp. No problems since then.

5. backintime

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    dacjohns, thanks for sharing -- it must be something peculiar to this breed. The shafts of the new feathers do look thicker around than the other chicks' tailfeathers. Maybe its like teething in babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by