Does it hurt??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peggyb43, Jan 18, 2009.

1. peggyb43

peggyb43 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2008
    I'm a newbie and my 5 girls haven't started laying yet (22 weeks today) but I was just wondering if it hurt them to lay an egg. I've read that they cackle pretty loudly when laying and that made me wonder if it was painful for them. Anybody know?

2. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Most of the time they cackle before or after to announce their contribution not during. In fact they are very quiet during the time of laying. I don't know about it hurting. I hope not. Jean

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I imagine it probably doesn't hurt unless the egg is unusally large. Remember, they're made for laying eggs and that's what they do naturally.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mine bawk to announce they are getting ready to lay and right after they lay. I have seen other hens run in to get a look too. FUNNY!

5. 98 gt

98 gt a man of many... chickens

Jan 14, 2009
    Marshville NC
    im sure they are quiet during laying so that in nature they dont draw too much attention to the nest...

6. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    My girls seem to quite enjoy laying eggs...almost like it's some exciting social event!! And they love singing and yelling about it afterwards [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by