Does it hurt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 31665, Jun 24, 2008.

1. 31665

31665 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Chardon Ohio
    Does it hurt when they Lay eggs? Every once in a while I hear one of my girls screaming. When I go running to the coop I find one of them in the nesting box.

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Ya know, I have often wondered that myself. I would say that the normal, day to day eggs, don't. However, if they have an extra large one or when they first start laying I am sure it does. But, since they lay most days, I would say their body is pretty much used to it. They can be awfully noisy sometimes, though, but I always consider that their little "egg brag" song. [​IMG]

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    No, I don't think it does. Their vents are quite large, and I would think it feels like they are passing a large poop

4. 31665

31665 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    Chardon Ohio
    Is there any info regarding the noises they make and what they mean?

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think it has something to do with calling the rooster to guard them while they lay. Mine to a group call every morning, they are all screaming, and laying. The roo is right at bedside. I've been in the coop alot and seen them lay, and they bokbok alot, but when they are ready to lay, mine are very quiet. Then that egg comes sliding out.

6. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Id say it may hurt. Almost like giving birth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by