Does it matter if a hen other than the actual mother raises young?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lobzi, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Will the temperament and/or actions of the chickens be affected by the brooding mom? In other words, if a non-Faverolle hen hatches and raises Faverolle young, will the young have the temperament and behaviors of the mother rather than that of a Faverolle? Does anyone have opinion on if, given the choice, it is best to force a non-broody mother to hatch her own eggs rather than placing the eggs under an already broody hen?
    I appreciate all opinions on this. Thanks in advance,
    Robin

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Nope, it won't make any difference. A faverolle will be a faverolle and grow up to act like a faverolle no matter what "Mom" raises it. We use cochins and other broodies on lots of our eggs. If you used a game hen it's possible they would be a bit "Wilder" than with our cochins, but I don't think so. I don't raise games though, so just guessing.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

And, by all that is sensible, don't try to force a non-broody hen to incubate any eggs, because that won"t work at all! You'll just lose those eggs. (That is, no chicks.)

My BO raised another hen's eggs, as did my Welsummer. The EE pullet is not acting like a BO at all, and I seriously doubt the EE/Delaware mix chicks will act like Welsummers.

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Not in the least. I used to have a lame EE that raise three sets of chicks before a dog got in and killed her.

5. Lobzi

Yep, that is what I thought too. I agree the mother doesnt matter. I cant argue with the person giving me this information however, all I can do is follow you alls' advice and my own gut feelings. Thank you for the input from all of you!

6. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I just HAVE to know - exactly what was this person's idea of how to "force" a non-broody hen to sit on eggs? Did it involve superglue? [​IMG]

7. Lobzi

She told told me, first, that I definitely want to force her to brood her own eggs and second that you trap her in the nest box for a few days and she will "get the idea." I made the mistake of moving a broody hen on eggs one time during the day and trying to block her in the nest box. It was horrible. She whined and kvetched until she finally escaped. I never want to go through that again!

8. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    My EE er Olivia adopted 2 BR eggs What a great experience (usually I get mt chicks from the feed store)

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I've never talked to anyone who successfully 'FORCED' a non-broody hen to become broody and incubate her own eggs. A hen (bantam or not, it doesn't matter) who IS broody will happily incubate anything you put under her, including kittens, puppies, rocks, wooden or glass eggs, etc. [​IMG] If she is a good mother, she'll teach the chicks what they need to know, but their temperaments and behavior traits will come from breeding, not the incubating mother.
    ETA: I had a broody Silkie hen steal a couple of babies from another hen's hatch. The "birth mother" didn't care, and the silkie was ecstatic, and a very good adoptive mama!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  10. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    My friend had a turkey get snatched by a coyote so she put the turkey eggs under her buff orp. She is still raising them lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by