Does it matter if they are male or female?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Fancie, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2009
  2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I would recommend the Cornish as a great meat bird. They are quick growing, large breast chicken. As for as sex, I would go with straight run. With straight run you will get a variety of sizes. The males will get larger sooner than the females. Straight run is ideal if you want some smaller fryers and also some larger roasters. Both male and females have the same feed conversion rate. At 7-10 weeks, with the exact same raising conditions, the males will be larger. Most places I've checked, straight run chicks are the cheapest.

3. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I agree with Bigred.

4. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Black Jersey Giants are the tastiest chicken that I have ever eaten! They take longer to grow; but are a real body builder of a chicken! BIG chickens and the hens lay regular also!

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with BigRedFeather. Cornish X's are great. Straight run also gives you some options. You can process them all on the same day, and have two different sized birds, or process the males one day, then the females a week or two later. If you want them all the same size at the same time, get them sexed.

6. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    Has anyone tried McMurray's Dark Cornish's? How would they compare to the Cornish X's?

7. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    No comparison in size, texture, taste, ect. The dark cornish is nothing more than a dual purpose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by