Does it matter if you set large eggs with bantam eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickiebabyfluff, May 19, 2011.

1. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    I have 12 blue copper marans and 12 silkie eggs ready to go into the bator....will it cause issues cos of the different sizes should they be in diff bators?

2. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    nope, it's fine. The only eggs I know of that you should incubate in a different bator are waterfowl. They have to have higher humidity. I've read where somebody does them like regular chicken or quail etc... and have had good hatches. I haven't. But I have had LF eggs in the same bator with eggs as small as quail and they did fine.

The eggs you have incubate the same amount of days with the same temps and humidity.

3. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:ty that is a load off my mind!!!

4. Kermit's shadow

Kermit's shadow Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    I keep waterfowl of various kinds, cranes, partridge, quail, pheasants, shorebirds, and lots besides - all eggs go in the same incubator, all need the same incubation conditions, all hatch fine. The bottom of the cabinet incubator is used for hatching - for everything except waterfowl, normal incubation RH works fine, for waterfowl eggs I use something like a Tupperware box with half an inch of water in the base and the eggs on a wire mesh shelf covered in paper towel, half inch above the water. To give some air exchange, there are a few quarter inch holes on the top of the box. The water is also added at incubation temperature.
    Been doing things this way for over 30 years.
    Various comments about waterfowl eggs not being incubated with poultry are common, but so long as you keep everything clean, the stories are just that - stories.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  5. scottfarm

scottfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    MILL CREEK, WV
    you should not have any problems at all .

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I have hatched LF with bantam and have hatched ducks with chickens. Never had problems with either.

7. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Thank you guys for the info!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by