Does it matter when the eggs were laid?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Quailer21, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Quailer21

Quailer21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Jupiter, Florida
    My pheasant is laying fertile eggs. I have collected 4 and all were laid different days. I put all 4 in the coolerbator today, will the hatch date be different or is from when you put the eggs in the incubator???

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    It shouldn't be different. They will all start developing at the same time as long as they were put in the incubator at the same time. If any of the eggs are over a week old it could reduce viability (I know this is true for chickens and the same principles should hold true for pheasants). Hope your hatch goes well. [​IMG]

3. Quailer21

Quailer21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Jupiter, Florida
    I put 4 eggs in the incubator today and im sure she will lay more. Should I just collect the rest and put them in at the same time and just not give them an early lockdown??? Help?? Suggestions appreciated

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    That's a bad idea if you don't have a separate incubator for hatching. I could see setting more the day after the initial set, that shouldn't harm too much but humidity issues could kill the chicks at one end of the spectrum or the other depending on how you worked it. Raise the humidity for hatching before the second set is ready and those chicks could drown in the shell. Raise it too late or not at all and the older chicks could shrink wrap and be unable to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by