Does it Sound Like my Smaller Roo is Being Bullied

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by schnebbles, Mar 1, 2014.

1. schnebbles

schnebbles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    Currently I have a pair of d'uccles and a pair of silkies. I had 4 more girls but they died from markes, so this is where I'm at now. I'm going to add more girls very soon.

Coop - 4x4 - they stayed in the coop for a long time straight when we had a lot of snow.

Couple weeks ago, I started finding d'uccle roo tail feathers in the coop and within a few days he lost all tail feathers :(

Silkie roo is younger but much bigger - possibly bullying?

And lately, I've noticed that d'uccle roo doesn't crow. he used to be the prominent crower.

I don't see any physical damage, other than the missing tail feathers.

This morning it looked like when I threw scratch down that d'uccle was eating and silkie came near and I think d'uccle backed away. Could have been coincidence. I'm trying to watch them more when they are out.

Opinions?

I didn't intend on 2 roos, especially with only 2 girls but that's how it happened. I would have major trouble rehoming one because of mareks.

thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds as if the d'uccle has been forced into the subordinate position. In a 4 X 4 coop he is at the mercy of the larger silky.

3. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    so I assume this is common? I feel bad.

Why would he have quit crowing?

I was out again with them earlier and he walked right by/almost under the silkie, wasn't afraid at all.

The door to the coop is always open during the day, they just all chose to stay in as they don't seem to like snow.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    There is always a top rooster. Usually in chicken society the top rooster does most of the crowing. Most chickens avoid walking on snow, unless they have an incentive.

1 person likes this.
  5. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    Interesting about the crowing, didn't know that. I feel bad for my little roo! He was used to being top roo!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would think you need to rid your coop and land of Mareks before continuing with any chickens...unfortunately that usually means culling all of your birds.

7. schnebbles

Jan 6, 2013
    Indian Lake, Ohio
    I won't cull my birds. There is no way I could do that. Any chickens I get will be vaccinated and be a little older so they have time to hopefully be immune. And even if I were to cull the virus could stay around for years from what I read. It's very sad to have

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by