Does it work? placing a day old hatchery chick under a broody hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by willkatdawson, Mar 1, 2009.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I have a wonderfully broody hen. She is broody all the time. I love her dedication. Has anyone tried slipping a hachery chick under a really broody hen?

2. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't personally, but it can be, and has been, done. It only works with day-old chicks, however, and it would probably only work if a hen had been sitting on eggs full-term.

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    People do it all the time.

4. thedreamers

thedreamers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Hastings, Florida
    We did it with our game hen. One hen is a great mom so we let her raise other chicks when she has hers. We've gone up to five days with chicks and they're put under her at night. We even slide other eggs under them when they go broody.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It can work or it can be a disaster. If it works, it is great. Chicks and hens imprint on each other, so the younger the chicks the better. She needs to have been broody for a week or more also as she could reject them if she has not been sitting long enough. She does not have a calendar so I don't know how long is long enough. Do it at night but monitor the situation the next morning to see if she accepts them or tries to kill the intruders. Be ready to intervene and brood if necesssary. I think it is worth the risk.

6. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    It has worked for me several times. I slip the baby under the broody just before sunrise while mom is still sleeping. That way, I can see how things go through the morning, and remove the chick if necessary. I've never had a hen reject one yet. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by