Does leaving food in the run attract more predators??

PamB

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
Dayville, CT
Our run is almost done and I plan on leaving water and food both inside the coop & in the run area. However, now I'm wondering if leaving the food outside is a bad idea. Will doing so attract more predators???

At the very least it will attract rats and mice which will attract snakes ,which can then attract hungry hawks and owls, so yea it is not a good idea unless you can prevent anything from getting to it besides your birds.

That is what I was thinking. So, do I put food out for them and then put it away at night, or just let them find their own food (ie bugs) in the run and leave the food in the coop? The coop will be open for them to go in and out of.

Yes it will plus it will bring in wild birds which can bring in lice, mites and heaven only knows what kinds of diseases. Even if you're feeding treats, I'd suggest doing it early in the day so the chickens have it cleaned up so it won't invite nighttime animals.

Ok, thank you all! I figured that it wasn't a good idea but I keep seeing pictures of runs with feeders in them. I suppose they are just taking them in at night as you said. Thanks again for the responses! Much appreciated!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I'm not sure they all do and , even if they do, there is always the chance of spilled food on the ground. Just not a good idea but, with smaller coops, it may be the only alternative.

Back
Top Bottom