Does letting the chickens out too late affect egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Thousand Oaks Family, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Thousand Oaks Family

Thousand Oaks Family In the Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Until I can get an automatic door hooked up my chickens arent going to get let out early with the sun like I would like. I have 2 young girls that wear me out and I gotta get the sleep when I can. The chicken cant wait to get out. Would this affect egg laying? They head for the feed as soon as they get out. Should I put some feed in the coop?

2. math ace

math ace Crowing

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I have food and water in the coop. I have several food / water stations in the run / coop area to avoid intimination factors

3. math ace

math ace Crowing

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I would make sure your girls always have access to water - - - -

4. math ace

math ace Crowing

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Also, if you are seeing a drop in egg production - - - it could just be from the high temps. However, if the chickens are seeing a reduction in light by being kept in the coop longer - - this could effect egg production too.

You might want to hook up some lights on a timer to help compensate for the additional coop time.

5. Thousand Oaks Family

Thousand Oaks Family In the Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    I have a light on a timer in the coop. They are still getting accustomed to their new location I think (hope). I bought them a few weeks ago and moved them here along with their coop. Although I am obsessed and already have plans on building a new coop.

6. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    I would definately have feed and water in the coop. The heat might be taxing their system. It is mine!

7. math ace

math ace Crowing

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:I only had 4 eggs from 8 laying chickens yesterday. This heat is awful on egg production from certain breeds. My leghorns aren't missing a beat . . . Eggs everyday from those girls - - - LOVE 'em. [​IMG] [​IMG]

My EE's are doing pretty good at keeping up despite the heat. I avearge 3 eggs out of every 4 days per chicken with those girls. [​IMG]

My wyandotte is doing as good as the EE's. [​IMG]

My Marans are doing horrid. They are producing at a 30% rate in this heat. It is a good thing I LOVE their personality otherwise they would have to go. They are my favorites because of their personality ! ! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  8. Can anyone tell me when chickens are supposed to start laying? I have heard so many different thing and llittle things to look for, I just don't know what to belive.

My chickens are all between 16-19 weeks old.

I have heard they start laying at 16 weeks
    I also heard that when thier combs get really red they are ready to lay.

Please any advice that comes with experience is welcome. I really want to know when i should start pairing my babies up.

Thanks,
    Teresa

9. MakNugget

MakNugget Songster

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:I understand they can start laying that early. I've also read some who haven't gotten eggs until 28 weeks! I believe the average is 18-22 weeks, and it all depends on how soon they are developing, and perhaps breed as well.

I just feed them well and keep tabs on how red their facial features are getting and squatting behaviors. I think this is a serious pot of water that a lot of us are waiting to finally boil and it's probably best to occupy ourselves until the time comes. Still waiting for some egg-song and nest-prep but I'm sure I'll see signs of those eventually. That's what the webcam is for, lol.

As a side note, it is nice to have a cam in there to be able to view their behaviors and adjust their needs accordingly.

10. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I don't think that it matters if you let them out a little later. Mine are forgiving if I am not down there at day break, and in the winter, daybreak is much later in the day.

I also don't put feed in the coop, I think that draws rats, and I don't want them in the coop. I think that chickens sleep in the coop, and lay their eggs in the coop.

As long as they get water and food everyday, and have sufficient time to eat what they want and drink. They will meet their needs, stay alive and lay eggs. I don't think that they need food and water 24/7.

The excess heat, could slow egg laying down.

Mrs.K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by